Thursday, January 28, 2016

The STORY of JIM!


Jim

---My friend Jim passed on recently. His mother never married his father who was HENCE not on the scene during his early years. He was raised by his grandmother.

---He never got a certain, basic need met. The need where you ‘know’ that you are ‘good enough.’ He spent much of his time trying to be worthy enough to be likable. It would never quite work out, but this seemed to call him back to try again and again.

---He saw that there was much to be gained from losing and winning. He somehow thought that if he would lose anything his unworthiness would be exposed. He learned that losing was unacceptable, so he simply set about to win. As far as he was concerned, his worth hung in the balance. If by chance he did lose, he had a slew of complaints + excuses and a list of people to blame. He never took the blame, BUT would modestly direct any credit his way.

---Jim didn’t quite know where to place me in the pecking order. We were pretty equal in raw intelligence…which would befuddle him. We were the same a lot and different a lot. The biggest difference showed itself to me in this area. I accepted my faults and foibles BETTER than he did. I could laugh and laugh at myself where he was unable. Self-acceptance was the big difference. While I would usually have fun, he would be busy trying to get approval. He was a much, more intense individual than I. Self-acceptance makes for a much happier situation. Be Well.

No comments: